Carbon monoxide is deadly. Over 2100 hundred deaths a occur in this country each year which are attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning. The 2006 International Residential Code requires carbon monxide detectors to be installed in new construction or during remodeling such as finishing off a basement. Carbon monoxide can occur from the incomplete combustion of fuel burning appliances such as propane or natural gas heating units, wood or coal burning stoves or natural gas appliances. Although in many instances older residences are not required to be compliant with newer versions of the Building Code(s)-it is always wise to insure the health and safety of not only your family but your tenants as well. I recommend both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors be installed (per manufacturer's installation instructions) in your own residence as well as in all your rental units. Your local building official may have requirements regarding this as well.
If you would like the chance to work with me or one of my fellow real estate investor coaches and our advanced training programs, give us a call anytime to see if Dean's Real Estate Success Academy and our customized curriculum is a fit for you. Call us at 1-877-219-1474 ext. 125