I would like input on my newest Letter Of Intent. Let me know what you think of it and/or what needs to be changed up a bit.
C/o Buyer’s Broker
Street City, State ZIP
Re: Letter of Intent
Please consider this letter to be our non-binding Letter of Intent summarizing the basic terms and conditions for Bryant Slade to purchase _______________, a __________sq. ft. retail
complex situated on _____ acres and located___________________________the “Property”),
from _____________________________ (“Seller”), along the following
1. Purchase Price: _______________, evidenced by: (a) ____________ +
cash from Buyer and (b) ____________ +
from the proceeds of a new first mortgage, or assumption of existing financing, if applicable, by Buyer.
2. The Inspection Period shall commence with the full execution and delivery of this Letter of Intent and terminate thirty (30) days thereafter. Buyer may, in its sole discretion, with or without cause and without penalty, terminate by giving Seller notice in writing at any time prior to the end of the
Inspection Period. In such event, Buyer’s Initial Deposit (as defined below) shall be returned in full, and both party’s rights and obligations shall cease. Should Buyer not terminate, then Seller shall
Buyer those items in Paragraph 4 below within 10 days after the later of (a) Buyer’s
acceptance of the Inspection Period or (b) execution and delivery of the long-form purchase and sale agreement.
3. A binder deposit of ___________ (“Initial Deposit”) shall
be paid to a mutually acceptable escrow agent promptly following the full execution and delivery of this Letter of Intent and pursuant to
mutually agreeable escrow instructions. An additional binder of ____________ (“Additional Deposit”) shall be paid by
Buyer upon the later of (a) completion of the Inspection Period and
Buyer’s acceptance of the Property, and (b) full execution and delivery of a definitive and binding
long-form purchase and sale agreement to be drafted by Buyer and negotiated by the parties. The terms of this Letter of Intent shall be incorporated into the purchase and sale agreement.
4. Seller shall pay for and obtain (where applicable) state stamps on the deed, cost of fee title insurance policy in the full amount of the purchase price, n
ew staked survey certified to Buyer and Buyer’s lender, real estate commission, its attorney’s fees and acceptable new termite inspection report. Seller
shall furnish Buyer a Phase I Environmental Audit acceptable to Buyer and its lender. Should said updated Phase I Environmental Report dictate the necessity of a Phase II Report, then Seller shall
promptly furnish same to Buyer at Seller’s expense. Should Seller not be able to deliver the property “clean” from any environmental problems, Buyer may terminate
the purchase and sale agreement.
5. Buyer shall pay for Buyer’s financing costs (including mortgage assumption, intangible tax, and transfer fee, if applicable), its attorney’s fees and recording fees.
6. Buyer and Seller shall prorate taxes, insurance, utilities, assessments and net rents as of the date of closing.
7. Security deposits and all funds in CAM account held by Seller shall be transferred to Buyer at closing.
8. Within three working days after the full execution and delivery of this Letter of Intent and escrow
agent’s receipt of the Initial Deposit, Seller shall deliver to Buyer and/or Buyer’s broker the following
items, as well as such other information and documents as Buyer may reasonably request during the Inspection Period:
Copies of or access to all tenant leases encumbering the Property.
Copies of or access to all contracts of employment or consultancy affecting the Property.
Copies of or access to all management, maintenance, service and other agreements affecting the Property.
An up-to-date rent roll showing the rental due under each lease, security deposits held,
prepaid rentals, and the status of each tenant’s rental payments.
Copies of all plans and specifications, reports, etc, used in the construction of the Property,
and “as built” plans
Copies of all insurance policies applicable to the Property.
Operating statements for the year-to-date and two preceding years.
Memoranda covering the terms and conditions of any unwritten leases or contracts affecting the Property.
Copies of inspection reports, existing notices and due dates for same from any governmental agency having jurisdiction for or an effect on the Property, including any additional notices which may be received prior to closing.
Copies of the last three years ad valorem tax bills, and current bill, if available.
Copies of all documents relating to litigation or other disputes affecting the Property.
A copy of all permits and certificates applicable to the Property, including Certificates of Occupancy.
Copies of all warranty agreements for real or personal Property, including roof bonds.
Financial statements on all tenants in the Property, if any.
Tenant delinquency reports for the past two years, if any.
Schedule of personal Property to be transferred with the Property.
Declarations certifying there are no tenant delinquencies (a) as of this Letter of Intent and (b) as of the date of closing.
Copy of the Common Area Maintenance budget and ledger showing all payments and disbursements.
All pertinent information of Seller
’s existing financing, if assumable.
Copies of Seller’s existing appraisals and environmental audits, if any.
9. The purchase and sale agreement shall contain standard “prevailing party” language.
10. Seller shall be solely responsible for (a) payment of any commissions with respect to leases on the Property through the closing date and for future contingent commissions for lease renewals of option periods applicable to said leases, and (b) complet
ion, at Seller’s or tenant’s sole
cost, for all tenant improvement work for pending or signed leases on the Property.
11. Within ten days of full execution of the purchase and sale agreement, Buyer shall apply for a new first mortgage in the amount of approximately $__________ +.
This offer is specifically
conditioned, in part, upon Buyer’s obtaining such financing, on or before the end of the
Inspection Period, on terms and conditions acceptable to Buyer in its sole discretion, and Buyer agrees to inform Seller within three days of obtaining its financing commitment from its lender.
12. If Buyer does not terminate during the Inspection Period, then Seller shall deliver those items described in Paragraph 4, all acceptable to Buyer in its sole discretion, within ten days after the later of the expiration of the Inspection Period and full execution of the purchase and sale agreement.
13. Closing shall be thirty (30) days after the last item in Paragraph 4 is delivered and Buyer has obtained the financing described in Paragraph 11 (with all of the foregoing to be acceptable to Buyer in its sole discretion) but in no event later than ______________. Both parties confirm that time is of the essence and agree to make every effort to expedite a closing.
14. Seller shall hold Buyer harmless against all claims by brokers and agents for any real estate commission due in this transaction. It is acknowledged that _______________________________ of _____________, is the procuring broker for this transaction and ________________________of ___________, __ is the listing broker. Seller will pay a commission of ____________________ of the total purchase price, said commission to be paid at closing and divided 50/50 between ___________ and ________________.
15. Seller shall deliver to Buyer, within ten days of full execution of the purchase and sale agreement, an estoppel certificate, in a form and with content reasonably acceptable to Buyer, signed by each tenant in the Property.
16. In the event of Buyer’s default aft
er full execution of the purchase and sale agreement and acceptance of the Property by Buyer following the Inspection Period, then the Initial Deposit and Additional
Deposit (collectively the “Deposit”) shall be forfeited by Buyer as Seller’s sole remedy.
In such case, Seller shall be entitled to 50% of the Deposit, and __________________ and _______________ each
25% of the Deposit (not to exceed the amount a full commission would be). In the event of Seller’s
default after full execution of the purchase and sale agreement and acceptance of the Property by Buyer following the Inspection Period, then Buyer shall have the option of (a) having the Deposit
returned, including reasonable costs, expenses and attorney’s fees, or (b) pursuing specific
17. Seller shall not enter into any agreements (including any contracts of sale of the Property, or any letter of intent in connection therewith), lease amendment or extensions until the purchase and sale agreement is fully executed or negotiations terminated. Should Seller enter into any such agreements
without Buyer’s prior written approval, or should Seller not be able to deliver estoppel certificates
from the tenants acceptable to Buyer and its lender, then Buyer may, at its option and in its sole discretion, terminate the agreement and any binder money paid returned.
18. Either party hereto shall have the right to treat the Property as part of a tax-deferred like-kind exchange under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code, and to that end, shall have the right to assign or otherwise alter this Agreement in order to accomplish that objective; provided, however, that the net economic effect (including exposure to liability) shall be essentially the same as under the original Agreement.
19. Seller and Buyer shall keep the terms of and existence of this Letter of Intent strictly confidential, and shall not disclose any of its terms or its existence to any third party other than to their brokers, consultants, attorneys, accountants, lenders and engineers.
20. The last signature date below shall be deemed the effective date of this agreement. While this Letter of Intent is non-binding, it is the intent of both parties to negotiate and execute within 30 days of full execution of this non-binding Letter of Intent, a binding and definitive long-form purchase and sale agreement along the above lines and with other terms and conditions customary for this type of transaction and mutually acceptable to both parties. The terms of this Letter of Intent shall be incorporated into the purchase and sale agreement. If the general terms as outlined above are acceptable, please indicate by signing one copy of this Letter of Intent and returning it to the undersigned.
Cordially, Agreed to,