They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but do you know what’s really worth a thousand words? Your own words—that you’ve captured in a journal!
Journal writing is one of Dean Graziosi’s most favorite activities. He uses his Better Life Journal to set goals, clear his mind and focus on the future. But in order to reap the benefits of journal writing like Dean, you’ve got to make journaling a daily habit!
We know that with all of the little details of your everyday life clouding your vision, it can be easy to lose track of when your last journal entry was. That’s why we’re sharing our favorite quotes on journaling to help you stay consistent and remain motivated for your next journal entry.
Motivational Quotes About the Power of Journaling
The power of your journal can be life-changing. Seeing your goals crystal clear in front of you and writing through your emotions can help channel your energy into success. When you’re feeling unmotivated to pick up that pen, remember these quotes about the power of journaling.
1. “A personal journal is an ideal environment in which to ‘become.’ It is a perfect place for you to think, feel, discover, expand, remember and dream.” — Brad Wilcox
2. “People who keep journals have lived twice.” — Jessamyn West
3. “Journal writing is a voyage to the interior.” — Christina Baldwin
4. “Journaling is like whispering to one’s self and listening at the same time.” —Mina Murray
5. “Keep a notebook. Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it. Slap into it every stray thought that flutters up into your brain. Cheap paper is less perishable than gray matter. And lead pencil markings endure longer than memory.” — Jack London
6. “The starting point of discovering who you are, your gifts, your talents, your dreams, is being comfortable with yourself. Spend time alone. Write in a journal.” — Robin Sharma
7. “Your Journal is like your best friend. You don’t have to pretend with it, you can be honest and write exactly how you feel.” — Bukola Ogunwale
8. “Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works.” — Virginia Woolf
9. “As there are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen to write.” — William Makepeace Thackeray
10. “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” — Anne Frank
Quotes to Change Your Life with Journaling
Right now, you might be thinking, “Journaling? Life-changing?” To which we say, Yes!
We can almost guarantee that thousands of different thoughts fly through your mind each day—from personal goals and business objectives to thoughts about family and friends. You’ll be amazed at what can happen when you copy and paste those thoughts onto a piece of paper and give your brain some peace and quiet for once.
If you want to know how journaling can change your life, read through these quotes.
11. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” — Maya Angelou
12. “If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.” — Anaïs Nin
13. “Writing is my way of expressing – and thereby eliminating – all the various ways we can be wrong-headed.” — Zadie Smith
14. “There comes a point in your life when you need to stop reading other people’s books and write your own.” — Albert Einstein
15. “A journal is your completely unaltered voice.” — Lucy Dacus
16. “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.” — Jodi Picoult
17. “In the diary you find proof that in situations which today would seem unbearable, you lived, looked around and wrote down observations, that this right hand moved then as it does today, when we may be wiser because we are able to look back upon our former condition, and for that very reason have got to admit the courage of our earlier striving in which we persisted even in sheer ignorance.” — Franz Kafka
18. “What a comfort is this journal. I tell myself to myself and throw the burden on my book and feel relieved.” — Anne Lister
19. “Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens. Most of my friends who are put on that diet have very pleasant careers.” —Ray Bradbury
20. “Journal writing gives us insights into who we are, who we were and who we can become.” — Sandra Marinella
Inspirational Quotes to Stay Consistent with Journaling
Journaling consistently to build a habit is like working out each day to build muscle. Some days you just don’t feel like putting in the time or effort, but once you do, you’re relieved you did. When you’re struggling to stay consistent with journaling, keep one of these quotes front and center on your desk.
21. “Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” — Jen Williamson
22. “Writing in a journal reminds you of your goals and of your learning in life. It offers a place where you can hold a deliberate, thoughtful conversation with yourself.” — Robin Sharma
23. “Keeping a journal of what’s going on in your life is a good way to help you distill what’s important and what’s not.” — Martina Navratilova
24. “Writing is powerful communication: perhaps even more so than speech, as it does not disappear on the breath.” — Gillie Bolton
25. “These empty pages are your future, soon to become your past. I will read the most personal tale you shall ever find in a book.” — Anonymous
26. “But I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to your families, to your children, your grandchildren, and others, on through the generations.” — Pres. Spencer W. Kimball
27. “When I look back on my personal story through my journals, it struck me my words had an unmatched power to heal me. To change me.” ― Sandra Marinella
28. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” — Louis L’Amour
29. “A good journal entry—like a good song, or sketch, or photograph—ought to break up the habitual and life away the film that forms over the eye, the finger, the tongue, the heart. A good journal entry ought to be a love letter to the world.” — Anthony Doerr
30. “Documenting little details of your everyday life becomes a celebration of who you are.” — Carolyn V. Hamilton
Encouraging Quotes About Forming Habits
Full disclosure: We know that forming successful habits isn’t always easy. That’s why we chose these encouraging quotes on journal writing to help you get in the groove!
31. “If you’re serious about becoming a wealthy, powerful, sophisticated, healthy, influential, cultured, and unique individual, keep a journal. Don’t trust your memory.” — Jim Rohn
32. “Getting rich isn’t about a magic pill that puts money in your bank account for doing nothing… It’s about changing your habits and your thoughts. And you can start today.” — Dean Graziosi
33. “The trick to success is to choose the right habit and bring just enough discipline to establish it.” — Gary Keller
34. “I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.” — Joan Didion
35. “Preserve your memories, keep them well, what you forget you can never retell.” — Louisa May Alcott
36. “For years I’ve been advocating the power and pleasure of being grateful. I kept a gratitude journal for a full decade without fail—and urged you all to do the same.” — Oprah Winfrey
37. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” — Will Durant
38. “Journaling is paying attention to the inside for the purpose of living well from the inside out.” — Lee Wise
39. “Happiness is a habit—cultivate it.” — Elbert Hubbard
40. “Writing in a journal each day allows you to direct your focus to what you accomplished, what you’re grateful for and what you’re committed to doing better tomorrow. Thus, you more deeply enjoy your journey each day.” — Hal Elrod
Journaling Quotes About Mindfulness, Self-Care and Mental Health
What do Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Frida Kahlo and Leonardo da Vinci all have in common? Each of these famous figures kept a journal to record their experiences, thoughts and feelings!
When your days are filled to the brim, journaling is an essential mindfulness technique to better your mental health and even indulge in a bit of self-care. If you don’t believe us, check out these quotes about keeping a journal.
41. “Journaling increases your self-confidence. It helps you look at how far you’ve come and how you overcame previous seemingly ‘impossible’ obstacles.” — Jeremiah Say
42. “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” — William Wordsworth
43. “I guess in my diary I’m not afraid to be boring. It’s not my job to entertain anyone in my diary.” — David Sedaris
44. “Don’t bend, don’t water it down, don’t try to make it logical, don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.” — Anne Rice
45. “Just as a good rain clears the air, a good writing day clears the psyche” — Julia Cameron
46. “Putting pen to paper is a mystical way to access your most profound truths” — Marie Forleo
47. “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” — Natalie Goldberg
48. “Write hard and clear about what hurts.” — Ernest Hemingway
49. “In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person; I create myself.” — Susan Sontag
50. “Writing is medicine. It is an appropriate antidote to injury. It is an appropriate companion for any difficult change.” — Julia Cameron
Bullet Journal, Gratitude Journal or Daily Journal: Just Do It
A journal can take so many shapes, from a bullet journal or gratitude journal to Dean’s Better Life Journal. You can even be a daily blogger on Tumblr or Medium—whatever it takes to get your ideas flowing!
Regardless of whether your journal is a physical notebook or a digital diary, treat it as a space to capture your unaltered voice and have an honest, thoughtful conversation with yourself. After a few weeks of tracking your intentions, setting goals and acknowledging your emotions, you’ll realize you’re one step closer to changing your life for the better.
Are you motivated to stay consistent with your journal?
Text Dean about your new success habit at 480-400-9019 and tell him you learned about it on the blog!
Your message will go straight to Dean’s personal cell—yes, for real!